Braai patio or room a must for most SA property buyers
Category Hot Investments
While security and the accommodation on offer is usually a deciding factor, most SA buyers also want braai facilities, either in the form of a braai room or an entertainment patio. A bar and/or wine cellar to go with that, are also in high demand.
They say that no matter where in the world, whenever two South Africans get together there is always a reason for a braai. It is no surprise then that National Heritage Day, celebrated annually on the 24th September is colloquially known as "National Braai Day".
Samuel Seeff, chairman of the Seeff Property Group says that South Africa is renowned for its excellent weather and outdoor "braai" culture, just one of the many reasons why tourists love visiting SA. For most property buyers, braai facilities are a must and if their budget allows, a bar/wine cellar will swing the deal.
Most houses tend to have some form of braai facilities, ranging from a basic outdoor built braai to elaborate braai patios. In the Cape, braai rooms a popular addition so that braaiing can continue even when the Southeaster blows.
The rise in sectional title property and apartment living have also not put a dampener on the braai culture and it is not unusual to find terraces and patios with braai facilities. Beatie Kritzinger from Seeff Durbanville is for example marketing a secure three-bedroomed townhouse in Sonstraal Heights which boasts a large 25 square meter indoor braai room.
Many new apartment complexes have braai terraces and you will often find buyers installing a built-in braai if they have space on a balcony or terrace. Some complexes offer a rooftop terrace with braai facilities or facilities around a communal pool.
It is not uncommon to find houses with a bar and braai area while luxury homes now often come with outdoor kitchens with full gas braai and cooking facilities, a sink with storage space and you might even find a pizza oven or a teppanyaki grill (for a Japanese braai). There is sure to also be a braai room and increasingly, luxury homes are built with stunning wine cellars and tasting rooms in a variety of finishes and styles.
While braai rooms and braai patios are a selling point and will likely add value to your property, Seeff cautions against spending more than the value that it will add. Always keep any such upgrades in line with the area and keep it as neutral as possible because buyer tastes differ greatly.
With summer and braai weather upon us, there is no better time to start shopping for the perfect entertainment and braai-ready home. Seeff's agents round up five fabulous braai- and entertainment homes on the market:
1. PROP1 - Bantry Bay (Ocean View Drive), R59,95m - Lance Cohen from Seeff Atlantic Seaboard is marketing this spectacular Greg Wright-designed architectural masterpiece which overlooks the Atlantic Seaboard and comes with five bedroom suites, a gymnasium, home theatre system and open-plan living areas which open to the outdoor entertainment and braai room and swimming pool, all overlooking the ocean.
2. PROP2 - Camps Bay (Atlantic Seaboard), R29,5m - Lyn Pope and Edit Marsh from Seeff are marketing a fabulous villa overlooking the ocean with six bedrooms, two swimming pools, a cigar bar, gymnasium, sauna and steam room, wine cellar and a superb outdoor entertainment and braai area.
3. PROP3 - Welgedacht Estate, R9,25m - Fanie Marais, principal for Seeff Welgedacht and Durbanville is marketing this luxury five-bedroomed home, ideal for the entertainer with five entertainment areas, a 500-bottle wine cellar and an oversized braai room with a pizza oven and music system.
4. PROP4 - Vygeboom (Durbanville area), R8,9m - Audrey Mutale, an agent with Seeff is marketing a luxury four-bedroomed family home in a security estate that comes with plenty of extras including a wine cellar, bar and braai room with sliding doors to the garden and pool.
6. PROP5 - Oude Westhof, R4,8m - Madelaine Kleynhans, an agent with Seeff is marketing this luxury four-bedroomed home with artistic finishes, a braai room and a wine tasting room and cellar.
Find Seeff on the property portals or visit www.seeff.com.
PROP1 - Bantry Bay (Ocean View Drive), R59,95m
PROP2 - Camps Bay, R29,5m
PROP3 - Welgedacht Estate, R9,25m
PROP4 - Vygeboom (Durbanville area), R8,9m
PROP5 - Oude Westhof, R4,8m
Author: Gina Meintjes