Meer En See at a glance
Studies show that living near water can make you happier. If you're looking to boost your physical and mental health, Richards Bay's Meer En See is the answer. The plush suburb, lying on the edge of the town's harbour, is known for its beauty and tranquillity. As a resident, you'll have access to a range of activities. Fishing, swimming, birdwatching, and craft market shopping make life here an absolute pleasure.
A brief history of the area
The town of Richards Bay was proclaimed in 1969. Meer En See became its first suburb in 1970. The name (also spelt as "Meerensee") translates to "lake and sea" in Afrikaans. This is an evocative nod to its location on the edge of Richards Bay Harbour between Alkantstrand, the local beach, and an inland lake. The suburb has grown significantly and become a sought-after space for middle to upper-income earners. Exciting new developments include fibre optic cable installation and the launch of Fidelity ADT's new office in the area in 2019.
Aquaphiles, rejoice. Meer En See's climate is warm and temperate - the perfect conditions for all water activities. The average annual temperature is 21.9 °C. Meer En See maintains its greenness throughout the year. A great deal of rainfall is experienced, even in the driest month.
Schools in the area
Looking to kick-start your child's bright future? There are lots of great schools in and around Meer En See. Primary schools include Richards Bay Primary School, Richardia Primary School, and Veldenvlei Primary School. High schools include Richardsbaai Hoërskool and Richards Bay Secondary School.
Healthcare in the area
You can prioritise your health in Meer En See. For treatment, Meerensee Clinic, Medicross Meer En See and Netcare The Bay Hospital are all within 16 minutes of the suburb. There are also dentists, general practitioners, and psychologists in close proximity. If your pet also needs attention, you can visit Meerensee Veterinary Hospital.
For retail therapy, you won't have to travel far from your Meer En See home. For your household essentials, there's Meerensee Mall. Serious shoppers can travel out to Boardwalk Inkwazi Shopping Centre or Lakeside Mall.
Distance from key points (Airport/CBD)
The driving distance from Meer En See to Richards Bay Airport is 14.8 km. This will take you roughly 21 minutes to reach your destination.
Meer En See provides a pleasant dining experience. For convenient and quick meals, you can check out the local Steers, Fishaways or Debonairs Pizza. For a sit-down experience, Porkys at The Lake, The Reeds Restaurant and Jack's on the Bay are some of your many options. A taste-bud-tantalising outing is guaranteed!
1. Alkantstrand Beach: Up for a refreshing dip? Make your way to Richards Bay's main swimming spot. Open all year, you'll get to swim, surf and sunbathe at your leisure.
2. Zululand Multisport Club: The club's codes include triathlon, duathlon, open water swimming, cycling, mountain biking, running, and walking.
3. Meerensee Boat Club: A favourite hangout of local fisherfolk, the club caters for boat fishing, light tackle fishing, shore angling, and more.
4. Meerensee Equestrian Club: With excellent stables and facilities, this club is the perfect place for your little ones to learn how to ride a horse.
5. African Crafts Market: If you're looking to decorate your home or find a unique gift, your search ends here. This market sells exotic, hand-carved items from all over Africa.
Make Meer En See your home. Let it be your story.
The picturesque town has a delightful quality that has beguiled residents for decades. Claim your space with Seeff. Our local team are passionate about finding a home that fits your unique needs. Take a look at our properties and give us a call or email.