St Helena Bay at a glance
St. Helena Bay derives its name from Vasco Da Gama, the first European who set foot on the West Coast of South Africa in 1497.
In the 1700’s the English used St. Helena Bay as a soldier’s outpost. Some of the original barracks is still in existence today.
In the years to come the fishing industry was established.
At first it revolved around the drying and salting of fish. Over the years it evolved into a thriving business exporting fish to countries around the world. Today the greater St. Helena Bay area consists of developments like St. Helena, Britannia Bay, Duyker Eiland, Shelley Point, and ext.
This area is situated on a peninsula about 160 km from Cape Town, 35 km from Vredenburg, the main commercial center, and about 47 km from Saldanha Bay.
The dual character of the town, with the older cottages in the original part of St Helena Bay and its village way of life, contrasting with the modern spacious homes on the Golden Mile, Britannia Bay, Duyker Eiland, Cape St. Martin and Shelley Point - these developments, offer wonderful sea views, a real sense of exclusivity and elegance, combined with the calmness and relaxed atmosphere of West Coast living. Miles of unspoilt safe beaches, the shallow bay teeming with Southern Right and Humpback whales, resident pods of the rare Heaviside dolphin and local seal colony - all combine to make this area a very special destination.