Evander at a glance
If you prefer a sky full of stars to bright city lights, you'll love Evander. The town offers a simple life with a relaxed pace. At just 23,78 km², you'll find amenities are a short drive away with little traffic or crowds. An Evander move is a chance to be part of a close-knit community that knows each other by name. And while the mining industry is the main source of employment, you'll get the support to create your own opportunities here.
A brief history of the area
Like many towns in Mpumalanga, Evander's history is strongly linked to mining. The town was originally part of the Bethal district. In 1955, Evander sprung to life when the Union Corporation started mining activities. The town was named after Evelyn Anderson (Ev + Ander). She was the wife of Peter Maltitz Anderson, one of the directors of the corporation. Gold mining companies remain a pivotal part of the town. In 2019, for example, Evander Gold Mine donated libraries to four local schools.
Sun worshippers can get their fix in Evander. The warm and temperate weather promises successful braais, pool parties and picnics. The average midday temperatures for Evander range from 16.5°C in June to 25.7°C in January. Evander usually receives about 565 mm of rain per year, with most rainfall occurring during summer.
Schools in the area
Evander's schools will pave your child's way to success. Primary schools include T.P. Stratten Primary School, Laerskool Hoëveld and Emdibini Primary School. For a combined school, look to Thistle Grove Combined School. Evander High School is the local secondary school in the area.
Healthcare in the area
For treatment, you can visit Evander Hospital. This healthcare centre boasts a range of services in family medicine, obstetrics, paediatrics, psychiatry, eye care and geriatrics. There is also Evander Municipal Clinic and a private clinic, Buciko Private Clinic, which offer primary health care services to the public.
In Evander, you can expect a stress-free shopping trip. There are plenty of grocery, clothing, furniture and pet stores around for all your basic needs. For more options, you can take a 15-minute drive to nearby Secunda.
Distance from key points (Airport/CBD)
The driving distance from Evander to OR Tambo International Airport is 110 km. This will take you roughly one hour and 17 minutes to reach your destination.
True to its small-town vibe, the area has a few choice places to eat. For a meal on the go, check out the town's KFC. Head to Bulls Bar to rub shoulders with the neighbours. For upmarket dining, your best bet is Fortis Hotel Evander. Need even more culinary pleasures? You can visit nearby eateries in Secunda and Embalenhle.
1. Evander Dam: This scenic water body is a popular community hangout - especially over the weekend. Stop by for fishing, braaing or simply to admire the water ripples.
2. Walker Park Golf Club: This 18-hole course is a good challenge whether you're a novice or experienced player.
3. Evander Soccer Stadium: Think you're the next Cristiano Ronaldo? Show off your skills at Evander's recreational space for soccer enthusiasts.
4. Evander Park: For fresh air and relaxation, escape to this pretty green space. The local municipality makes a concerted effort to keep it neat and tidy for visitors.
5. Borehole UC 65: This provincial heritage site was the first prospecting hole to penetrate the auriferous Kimberley Reef in the vicinity of Evander. This event led to the development of an important new South African goldfield, viz the Evander Goldfield.
Make Evander your home. Let it be your story.
The hustle and bustle of city life isn't for everyone. If you appreciate the quietness and community spirit of small towns, Evander will welcome you with open arms. View our properties and give our team a call or email.